About Me

My photo
Hello, my name is Valorie. I have a Master's Degree in History and a license to teach-- I have been both university professor and public school teacher. Currently, I am a middle school social studies teacher. I love horror movies and spooky things. Every day is Halloween. I am also a passionate book blogger.

Blog Archive

Featured Post

Book Review: 23:27 by H.L. Roberts

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Book Review: The Dysfunctional Father's Guide to Pregnancy Birth and Babies by XY



Title: The Dysfunctional Father's Guide to Pregnancy Birth and Babies 
Author: XY 
Genre: Fiction - Humor 
Finished: August 20, 2009

The Dysfunctional Father's Guide to Pregnancy Birth and Babies is a humor guide book for expectant fathers penned by a two man team who call themselves XY, and is illustrated by David Shaw. The book is an amusing look at how the ‘dysfunctional father’ views the road to pregnancy, the pregnancy experience, childbirth, and the first year of a child’s life. It is an advice book, a guide book, and a collection of personal stories somewhat exaggerated for comedic effect. Sensitive men and women should not read. If you are predisposed to the idea that all men are piggish jerks, you might also not want to read this book because it will just confirm your opinion. The tone of the book comes off arrogant and misogynistic, but the humor itself is meant to be tongue in cheek, so the authors are not trying to be politically correct or kind with their words. I have to admit, sometimes I quite disliked the authors, especially when I read the section on how to make your post-birth wife feel fat enough to go on a diet. It was absolutely horrible. You will probably also ask yourself at some point, “do these men actually love their wives?” While I don’t think that any man in his right mind would follow the advice given, I do think that it’s worth a laugh because some of it is quite outrageous and cruel. And the book itself might not be insight into the average male mind, but it is a peek into what I am sure every man thinks at least once in a while. I had a lot of fun reading it once I got over myself and decided not to be offended by the obvious disrespect shown toward women. Sometimes that made it really, really hard to like and enjoy, but I did manage quite a few laughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment